Managing Virtual Environments
This course deals with management of complex virtual environments, analysis of key performance factors of virtualized systems, principal issues in troubleshooting virtual environments, evaluation of small scale virtual environment developed in the lab. This course will equip students with the in-depth knowledge and techniques used to efficiently optimize and effectively trouble-shoot virtual infrastructures
On successful completion of this course, the learner will be able to
- Discuss and evaluate the management of complex virtual environments
- Critically analyze key performance factors in virtualized systems.
- Identify and formulate judgments for management requirements relating to the configuration and performance of virtual environments.
- Identify and analyze the principal issues in troubleshooting virtual environments.
- Performance evaluations and critical evaluations of a small scale virtual environment developed in the lab.
- Performance Management in a Virtual Environment: Management techniques, methodology and key performance metrics used to identifying CPU, memory, network, virtual machine and application performance bottlenecks in a virtualized environment.
- Configuration and Change Management: Configuration and change management goals and guidelines, tools and technologies in virtualized environments.
- Secure Virtual Networking: Configuration and change management goals and guidelines, tools and technologies in virtualized environments. Virtual network security architecture, network segmentation and traffic isolation to secure a virtual network configuration.
- Protecting the Management Environment: Server authentication, authorization, and accounting, SSL certificates, server hardening. Protecting the host system; security architecture, controlling access to storage, hardening hosts. Hardening virtual machines; Virtual machine security architecture, security parameters. Protecting the host and virtual machine systems using server authentication, authorization, and accounting techniques.
- Troubleshooting Virtual Environments : Interpreting host, network, storage, cluster and virtual machine log files. Network troubleshooting; traffic sniffing. storage access problems, iSCSI authentication and digests. Virtual machine migration, cluster errors with shares, pools, and limits. Command line interfaces and syntax, interpreting host, network, storage, cluster, virtual machine log files and network traces.